7-year-old dengue death: Health Minister seeks report of massive bill from Fortis

Gurugram: Calling the death of a seven-year-old girl at Gurugram’s Fortis Hospital unfortunate, Health Minister J.P. Nadda said on Tuesday that the government had sought a detailed report from the hospital.
Stating that action will be taken if required, Nadda also said that his ministry had written to all states regarding the registration and regulation of all clinical establishments with a view to prescribe the minimum standards of facilities and services.
“It was a very unfortunate incident. The Health Ministry has sought a medical report from Fortis Hospital and we will look into it. If required, action will be taken,” Nadda said on the sidelines of a WHO conference in New Delhi.
The comments came after the parents of the girl, Adya, who died of dengue after undergoing treatment at the Fortis Hospital, were allowed to take their daughter’s body only after paying a bill of Rs 18 lakh.
The parents alleged that the hospital kept their daughter on a ventilator for three days though she had stopped responding to the treatment. The girl died on September 14.
Nadda said: “Please provide me details… We will take all the necessary action.”
After the information about this case went viral, the hospital issued a statement stating what had happened.
Also Read: Seven-year-old dies of dengue, family billed Rs 16 lakh
According to the hospital, Adya was brought to Gurgaon’s Fortis Memorial Research Institute from another private hospital on the morning of August 31.
“She was admitted with severe dengue which progressed to dengue shock syndrome and was managed on IV fluids and supportive treatment as there was a progressive fall in platelet count and hemoconcentration,” said the statement.
As her condition deteriorated, she was put on ventilator support within 48 hours.
“The family was kept informed of the critical condition of the child and the poor prognosis in these situations. As a process, we counselled the family daily on the condition of the child.
“On 14th September, the family decided to take her away from the hospital against medical advice (LAMA – Leave Against Medical Advice) and she succumbed the same day,” the statement said.
Fortis said all standard medical protocols were followed.
“An itemized bill spread over 20 pages was explained and handed over to the family at the time of their departure. Patient was treated in the Paediatric ICU for 15 days and was critical right from the time of admission requiring intensive monitoring,” it said.