5 Indian-origin men jailed for killing Sikh man

London: Five Indian-origin men have been jailed here after being found guilty of killing a Sikh man in a vicious and “shocking revenge attack” for sleeping with the wife of one of them.

The gang used swords, hammers and baseball bats to hack Sukhjinder Singh, also known as Gurinder Singh, to death on a Southall street in July 2016. The men had been convicted of the brutal murder earlier this month, Get West London reported.

Amandeep Sandhu, 30, from Southall and Ravinder Singh-Shergil, 31, from Tipton, were found guilty of Singh’s murder. According to the Old Bailey Court, Sandhu received life imprisonment with a minimum of 26 and a half years in prison and Singh-Shergil also received life imprisonment with a minimum of 26 years and 9 months in prison at a hearing on Friday.

Vishal Soba, 30, from Hayes was found guilty of manslaughter and assisting an offender. Kuldeep Dhillon, 27, from Hayes, was convicted of manslaughter and intimidating a witness.

Soba was sentenced to 16 years in prison and Dhillon was sentenced to 16 years imprisonment last week.

The fifth man from the gang, Palwinder Multani, aged 36, from Hayes, already pleaded guilty on November 10, 2017, to manslaughter and assisting an offender in the case. He became a witness for the prosecution.

Multani was sentenced to 4 years and 6 months in prison last week.

The trial heard that Kuldeep Dhillon and the victim Gurjinder Singh used to live together during 2008 and 2012. However, when Dhillon found that Singh was sleeping with his wife, they fell out, leading to the revenge attack for the adultery.

“The nature of weapons used and ferocity of the attack, it is obvious you intended to kill,” said Judge Christopher Moss after a trial heard how the men chopped off the victim’s fingers with knives and swords and went on to attack him with a wooden club and a hammer in Southall in 2016.

Earlier, the court heard how the gang members used a multitude of weapons that included knives, swords and baseball bats to attack the victim.

The court was told during the trial that as far back as August 2013, there was rivalry between the victim and a group of men within the local Southall-based British Sikh community.