Hyderabad: A lift malfunctioning in a five storey commercial building has caused the death of a 45-year-old sweeper in Himayathnagar on Thursday.
The woman identified as K Rekha aged around 45 fell to death in the lift shaft in the Lakshmi Vivantha Girls Hostel after she stepped into the hollow shaft assuming the lift has arrived.
Rekha was waiting for the lift to come up to the fifth floor and opened the grill without realizing the lift has not yet arrived.
“She suffered fractures on both her legs and was shifted to Osmania General Hospital where she succumbed while undergoing treatment,” Narayanguda SI K Saidulu told TOI.
The commercial building has a car showroom on the first and second floors, girls hostel on third, fourth and fifth floors.
The malfunctioned lift’s outer grill still opened when the lift was stationary on the first floor but Rekha failed to notice this which led to her death.
A case was registered under Section 304-A (negligence causing death) of IPC against building owner Harish and building association caretaker Siva.