4-yr-old Yousuf Ali dies after eating jelly toffee

Kozhikode: Four-year-old, Muhammed Yousuf Ali, son of Basheer Palodayil and Suharabi, died on Friday after eating a jelly toffee from a shop on Thursday. His mother too developed uneasiness after eating the jelly toffee and is being treated at the Government Medical College hospital.

According to a report published in Deccan Chronicle, the boy travelled with his mother, grandmother and elder sister on Wednesday to Nallalam and on their way back, before catching a bus to Koyilandy, bought the toffee. Soon after tasting it, the kid disliked it and the mother threw it away, after tasting it. His sister and grandmother did not eat it.

The child developed uneasiness on reaching home that worsened the next day. He was taken to a physician in Kappad who directed them to MCH.

However according to police the boy was brought dead. Family took the mother home. She was not informed about the son’s death.

Following the incident, the toffee has been banned by the food safety officials. A case has been registered under unnatural death. The shop in the mofussil bus stand where the toffee was sold was raided by Food safety and health officials and unsold packets were seized.

The manufacturers were identified as National Confectionery, Madurai. Manufactured on March 25, it was advised on the cover as permissible to use until May 25.