Agartala: Three people of a family, including two children, died in Tripura due to food poisoning, officials said on Saturday.
The cause of the death has been confirmed by the post-mortem examination reports, officials said.
According a health department official, Basanti Debbarma, 55, her two grand daughters — Shristi Das, 7, and Maxi Das, 9, died on Friday while her two daughters are being treated in a government hospital here.
“The victims, before dying, started vomiting incessantly after taking food prepared with wild potato at their home at Nagichara (in western Tripura). All the five people were admitted to the hospital and three of them died on Friday night,” the official added.
The tribals in the northeastern states traditionally eat bamboo shoots, roots, herbs and fruits of different forest plants.