New Delhi: Brace your skin and hair, winter is here! The cold season can leave your skin dry and can cause dandruff. Therefore, it is very important to follow a regimen that meets your skin’s requirements during specific climatic conditions.
Using a concentrated oil or serum for the face during winter instantly moisturises and nourishes your skin and a regular hair oiling session will help to lock-in the moisture and prevent dandruff, says an expert.
A spokesperson of the luxurious Ayurvedic brand Kama Ayurveda has suggested how to take care of your skin during the cold season.
* Cleansing: Cleansing is a vital part of any regimen. Use a gentle natural face wash that cleans the skin but retains the moisture. Do not clean your skin more than three times a day.
* Moisturisation of face and neck area:
* For daytime: Apply a thick creamy moisturiser after cleansing your face with a mild cleanser to remove the dead skin cells and grime which prevents the cream from entering your skin. Apply on damp skin in the morning to the face and neck area.
* For night time: Apply a rich night cream after cleansing your face with a mild cleanser to remove dead skin cells. Apply it on damp skin while paying special attention to dry areas. The night cream will soak in and nourish the skin during your sleep, making the skin feel better moisturised in the morning.
* Exfoliation: People with oily or combination skin can use an exfoliating scrub once a week to clean pores and remove dead skin cells. But for people with dry skin, exfoliation can be harsh and can dry the skin further.
* Ultra moisturisation of body, hands and feet: During winter, due to dry conditions, the body, hands and feet need ultra moisturisation. Using a body butter, hand cream and foot cream will help to recondition and soften your skin in the specific areas. It will deeply penetrate and provide the necessary long lasting moisturisation and nourishment.
* Lip care: As lips lack oil glands, it easily dries out and gets wrinkled and chapped. So during the cold season, lips should be taken care off. Avoid petroleum jelly as it is very damaging to the lips. It is ideal to opt for lip balms with Beeswax and butter. Also one should take necessary care not to smack or lick lips as it aggravates the dryness.
* Oil care for body: During the cold season, oil massage is a great way to revitalise dry skin, increase blood flow and aid lymphatic drainage. These practices form a part of the traditional Ayurvedic morning self-care and cleansing routine known as dinacharya. Massage your skin with oil, while paying particular attention to dry or rough patches of skin and to any muscle or joints that are sore.
* Oil care for hair: Winter cold can make your hair dry, dull and rough, so special care is needed to retain the moisture of your mane. Dandruff is another important concern during the season. Regularly oiling the hair in winter will help to lock in the moisture and prevent dandruff.
* Oil care for face: Using a concentrated oil or serum for the face during winter instantly moisturises and nourishes your skin. It absorbs into the skin swiftly, keeping dry patches at bay and helps retain moisture.