New Delhi: : The mercy petition of Yakub Memon, facing gallows in the 1993 Mumbai blasts, was rejected tonight by President Pranab Mukherjee after government advised him such a course.
The decision came after Mukherjee held consultations first with Home Minister Rajnath Singh who was later joined by Home Secretary L C Goyal and Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar.
The confabulations lasted over two hours after which the President took the decision to reject the petition that was filed by Memon in a last-ditch attempt to escape death tomorrow when he is scheduled to be hanged in Nagpur jail.
Yakub Memon’s execution plan
- On July 30, Yakub will be woken up at 3:45 am and given a bath. He will also be given new clothes and will be allowed to offer prayers.
- After that doctors will perform a medical check-up.
- After some time, Yakub will be served breakfast.
- Then he will be given religious books.
- After that will be asked to take rest
- He will be taken to the place of execution and will be informed about his crime.
- Then his face will be covered using a black hood and hands will be tied backside.
- Finally, Magistrate will signal the hangman to pull up the rope.
- Cremation process will begin.
- Yakub spoke to guards before SC verdict.
- Yakub wants to meet daughter.
- Yakub said his hanging is politicised.