Saturday , December 10 2016
Home / Crime / Crime and Accident / Paediatric hospital fire: Baby injured

Paediatric hospital fire: Baby injured

fire

Cuttack: A major fire broke out at Odisha’s premier paediatric hospital here today in which a newborn baby suffered minor burn injuries.

The fire broke out at the Neonatal Intensive Care Unit (NICU) of Sardar Vallabhbhai Patel Post Graduate Institute of Paediatrics, popularly known as Sishu Bhavan here

The fire spread from an electric warmer in the newborn ward, which was housing 20 patients, three of whom were on life support systems, at the time of the mishap, sources said.

Patients were soon shifted to nearby wards and the in-house fire extinguishers put into use to douse the flames, said District Collector N C Mishra, who had rushed to the spot after the mishap.

“A technical committee enquiry has been ordered to look into the cause of the fire and find if anyone was responsible for it,” Mishra said adding that the committee is asked to submit its report in seven days.

Odisha Health minister Atanu Sabyasachi Naik and local legislator Debashis Samantray also visited the hospital and took stock of the situation.