The Supreme Court Friday allowed the association of private dental and medical colleges to become party to a matter seeking CBI probe into alleged “irregularities” in Madhya Pradesh’s Dental and Medical Admission Test (DMAT) to fill management quota seats in privately-run medical colleges in the state
While permitting the association to be impleaded in the matter relating to DMAT, a bench of Chief Justice H.L.Dattu, Justice Kurian Joseph and Justice Amitava Roy issued notice on the petitions seeking transfer of their cases relating to admission irregularities from Madhya Pradesh High Court to the apex court.
The notice on transfer petitions moved by Paras Saklecha, Anand Rai, and Himanshu Choyal is returnable in three weeks.
The apex court on August 14 had asked the Madhya Pradesh government file in “black and white” its response to the plea seeking a Central Bureau of Investigation probe into alleged “irregularities” in the DMAT.
“Whatever you want to say put it in black and while,” the apex court had said when Attorney General Mukjul Rohatgi had opposed the plea for CBI probe, contending that the state government had no role in the conduct of DMAT and the admissions made under it.
Under DMAT, the seats are divided between the state government and the private medical college in the ratio of 42 and 58 percent.
While 42 percent seats falling under the state quota are filled up by the students who have succeed in the Vyapam exam conducted by the state government, the remaining 58 percent – which include a 15 percent NRI quota – are filled by the managements of private medical colleges.
The DMAT is conducted for about 2,800 seats in 21 medical colleges – 15 dental and six medical.
Just two days before August 14 hearing of the matter, the CBI in response to an earlier notice had told the court that “The DMAT scam as highlighted by the petitioners, purportedly started from 2009 and ever year, thousands of students have been admitted in private dental and medical colleges against the management quota. Hence in its scope and depth, the DMAT scam appears to be many times more than the Vyapam scam.”