Saturday , December 3 2016
Home / Crime / Crime and Accident / Islamic State claims 2 attacks in Yemen killing at least 15

Islamic State claims 2 attacks in Yemen killing at least 15

ISISI-terrorism

Sanaa: Two Islamic State-claimed attacks today in Yemen’s largest province killed at least 15 people and wounded 30, security officials said, in the latest sign the extremists are taking advantage of the country’s civil war to expand their reach.

Meanwhile, a lawyer representing an American held in Yemen since 2010 on suspicion of being linked to al-Qaida militants said his client wasn’t among three US citizens recently freed and evacuated from the country.

Today’s synchronized attacks targeted checkpoints manned by security forces loyal to Yemen’s internationally recognized government in the cities of Shibam and al-Qatn, both in Hadramawt province, officials said.

A car bomb detonated amid the fighting in Shibam, according to video shot by a local resident that corresponded to other Associated Press reporting about the assault.

The security officials, who spoke on condition of anonymity as they weren’t authorized to speak to journalists, provided the casualty figures. A claim for the attack circulated online by Islamic State supporters offered a higher death toll of 50 killed. The discrepancy could not be immediately reconciled.

While the AP could not independently verify the Islamic State claim, it corresponded to others previously released by the group. IS has claimed a series of bombings that killed 152 and wounded 345 people this year in Yemen, according to an AP count.

Earlier in the day, officials blamed al-Qaida in the Arabian Peninsula, Yemen’s local branch of the militant group, for the attacks. Al-Qaida fighters have captured much of Hadramawt province and its capital, Mukalla, amid the civil war gripping the country. Washington considers the branch to be the world’s most dangerous.

Yemen’s civil war pits Shiite rebels known as Houthis and their allies against the internationally backed government forces and a Saudi-led coalition.

At least 5,700 people have been killed in the conflict in Yemen since March 26, including 830 women and children, the United Nations said Wednesday. The war has pushed the country to the brink of famine, as the UN says over 21 million people 80 percent of the population need humanitarian assistance.

Houthis and others have taken foreigners hostage in the chaos of the war. Yesterday, officials said three Americans held captive by the Houthis in Yemen’s capital, Sanaa, had been freed and flown to neighboring Oman after the sultanate negotiated on Washington’s behalf.