Friday , August 18 2017
Home / News / Indian Guilty of Murdering Wife Who Was Found Headless in Singapore River

Indian Guilty of Murdering Wife Who Was Found Headless in Singapore River

SINGAPORE: A 33-year-old Indian woman whose headless body was found floating in Singapore’s Whampoa River in December 2013 was murdered by her husband, a coroner’s court has found.

Jasvinder Kaur died after being dealt a punch on the neck by her husband Harvinder Singh during a fight, the Straits Times said today.

Harvinder, 35, a senior logistics coordinator is now on Interpol’s wanted list.

A coroner’s court found yesterday that the woman was murdered by her husband on December 11, 2013.

Ms Kaur’s headless body was discovered floating in Whampoa River on the morning of December 12. Her corpse was wrapped in black trash bags with the legs exposed and the hands severed at the wrists, it said.

Harvinder was upset with his wife’s long-distance call to a mystery party and reportedly punched her on the neck in a fight and left her lying on the bed.

It was only later, he told a friend, that he realised that she was not unconscious, but dead. That was when he decided to get rid of the body, the daily reported.

His friend and fellow Indian national Gursharan Singh, 27, was jailed for 30 months in April this year for helping him to get rid of Ms Kaur’s body.

Gursharan, a forklift driver, had helped Harvinder carry a luggage bag from the latter’s residence at 228A Balestier Road to the nearby canal.

When Gursharan grew suspicious at how heavy the bag was, he demanded to know what was in it. Harvinder then explained that he had fought that morning with his wife and punched her once on the neck.

She had fallen onto the bed and he had left her there. When he found her in the same position later, he realized she was dead and decided to dispose of her body, the daily said.

Although Gursharan was then aware that the luggage contained a corpse, he helped Harvinder carry it to the canal.

Harvinder then told him to walk away. As Gursharan left, he heard a splash.

Ms Kaur’s employer told investigators that after the woman failed to turn up for work as a beautician on December 11, Harvinder called to say she was returning to India.

He fled the next morning to Malaysia, and then to India, where the authorities were unable to trace him.

The exact cause of Kaur’s death remains unknown as her head and hands were never found.