New Delhi: Union minister Rajyavardhan Rathore on Monday denied saying that India may plan ‘covert operations’ against underworld don Dawood Ibrahim.
The denial came after the minister of state for information and broadcasting was quoted as saying that New Delhi was considering covert operations against the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts mastermind who is believed to be living in Pakistan.
Rathore tweeted that “incorrect versions” of his statements “allegedly on Dawood” had been attributed to him.
The former army colonel also attached a link of the interview he gave to a TV news channel.
The minister in the interview, responding to a question whether India would do something against Dawood similar to the ‘Manipur revenge attack’, said: “We may do it, but we will not discuss it before doing it.
“We may talk about it after it is done, or we may not… depends on the government … if it is a covert operation or a special operation. A covert operation may never be discussed.”
Islamabad has repeatedly said that Dawood does not live in Pakistan.
Dawood is wanted in India for allegedly masterminding the serial bomb blasts in Mumbai in March 1993 that killed nearly 300 people and shook the country’s financial and movie capital.
It was the world’s worst urban terror attack until then.