Over 22 years after the 1993 Mumbai blasts, Yakub Memon, the sole convict on death row, was hanged on his 53rd birthday today. Here is how Yakub’s hanging happened.
1. Yakub Memon was woken up at 3.30am on Thursday.
2. Yakub was permitted a warm bath and was provided with a set of fresh clothes — hours ahead of his scheduled hanging.
3. Arrangements to offer namaz and read the Holy Quran were made for Memon at the Nagpur central jail.
4. Yakub was offered a breakfast of his choice. Reports say that Memon had not eaten since Wednesday.
5. Yakub underwent a final medical examination prior to hanging.
6. Chief judicial magistrate of Nagpur M M Deshpande was present in the Fansi Yard. She read out the operating part of the TADA court order which awarded capital punishment to Yakub before he was made to stand on a stool and the lever pulled by the hangman.
7. Memon was hanged at 6.35am.
8. Memon was hanged till death in the ‘Fansi Yard’ under supervision of jail superintendent Yogesh Desai.
9. A team of doctors declared him dead after about half-and-hour of the scheduled hanging, when his body was brought down.
10. A postmortem was conducted a by a team from a Nagpur hospital.
11. Yakub’s body was then handed over to his family members. Yakub’s brother Suleman and cousin Usman, who were camping in Nagpur since Wednesday, received the body.
12. 7 family members, including two women, accompanied Yakub’s body to Mumbai.
13. Yakub’s body was brought from Nagpur to Mumbai by IndiGo flight 544.