A housewife who was admitted to state-run Burdwan Medical College and Hospital with severe burns died last night, a hospital official said.
In her dying declaration she mentioned her brother-in-law Uttam Mandal as having doused her in flames after pouring kerosene on her.
The incident came to light when neighbours noticed smoke billowing out of her room at Dakshinsura village under Jamalpur police station yesterday and when they rushed in, they found her with severe burns.
Her mother Anjana Biswas alleged that after her daughter’s death she was being subjected to pressure by a political party not to proceed with the matter.
She further alleged that Mandal, who was a local Trinamool Congress leader, used to harass her daughter.
Superintendent of police Kunal Agarwal said the police were yet to receive a complaint from the woman’s family.
“Action will be taken after we receive a complaint from her family,” he said.