Tuesday , November 29 2016
Home / News / Govt. downplays Hafiz’s statement, says India capable of countering any threat

Govt. downplays Hafiz’s statement, says India capable of countering any threat

jitendrasingh

New Delhi: Downplaying the statement of Jamat-ud-Dawah (JuD) chief Hafiz Saeed, the government on Monday asserted that India is capable of countering any threat or challenge to its territory or sovereignty, and added that his statement should not be given too much importance.

“The related department and the officials are placing the proofs against Hafiz Saeed. India is capable of facing any threat. So, I don’t think these are issues to be discussed publicly. I think there is no reason to be disturbed about what somebody says, because India is capable by all means to face any kind of threat or challenge,” said Union Minister of State for Prime Minister’s Office Dr. Jitendra Singh.

Echoing similar sentiments, Minister of State for Parliamentary Affiars Mukhtar Abbas Naqvi said Hafiz Saeed is a criminal and he needs to be punished.

“India has a zero tolerant attitude towards terrorism. There is no compromise in that. It’s not important what he says…it’s important what we say,” he added.

The reaction from the government came after Hafiz Saeed dared India to prove his involvement in the 26/11 Mumbai terror attacks.

According to a video posted on his Twitter account, Saeed is seen saying, “Our government remained silent, but let me respond to Sushma. It’s been seven years but they could not prove who was behind the Mumbai attacks and Insha Allah (if Allah wills it) they will never be able to prove it until eternity.”

“India has failed to provide any evidence of Mumbai attacks, while on the other hand Modi has confessed for worst terrorism of #1971,”.

Saeed’s statement also comes after India was assured of steps being taken to expedite the early conclusion of 26/11 Mumbai trial, after External Affairs Minister Sushma Swaraj visited Pakistan last week. (ANI)