Amid reports of intelligence inputs suggesting a looming al-Qaeda and IS threat, the Uttar Pradesh government on Tuesday decided to soon begin the recruitment of 35,000 police constables, doing away with the earlier practice of written examination to tide over staff shortage.
The move also assumes significance against the backdrop of the Allahabad High Court order in September restraining Uttar Pradesh Police Recruitment Board from issuing appointment letters to more than 38,000 candidates who were declared successful in tests after several petitioners contended that there were lacunae in the results declared.
The decision to make fresh recruitment was taken at a meeting of the state cabinet chaired by Chief Minister Akhilesh Yadav. “Guidelines for the recruitment of police constables have been finalised and the recruitment process will start soon,” Yadav told mediapersons after the meeting.
“The cabinet has decided that the recruitment will be done by preparing a merit list on the basis of marks of Class X and XII and physical test. Examination will not be conducted,” he said.
According to media reports, the state government is taking special precautionary measures after intelligence warnings that terrorists might target pilgrim spots, railway stations and other unknown spots. A direction was issued by the government to beef up the security following the Dadri lynching incident and security drills were conducted with the help of bomb squads.
An intercept shared by Intelligence Bureau and other intelligence agencies around mid-October with Uttar Pradesh police had stated that terror groups were trying to activate sleeper cells in various cities to launch bomb attacks.
Subsequently, police across the state had been put on high alert following the five-page intercept, which also contained a list of targets, including top VHP leaders. The CM said arrangements will be made for ensuring better training of jawans for effective policing and working, especially to meet new challenges.