Naming your dog ‘Trigger’ is like shooting yourself in the foot.
But an Indiana woman found that out literally when her dog named “Trigger” shot her in the foot in a bizarre hunting mishap.
Allie Carter was hunting with her dog Trigger in northern Indiana over the weekend when she became the object of an international punch line.
The 25-year-old laid her 12-gauge shotgun on the ground. The safety was off. Her 10-year-old chocolate Labrador retriever did the rest.
“A dog stepped on the trigger, causing the gun to go off and strike a female hunter in the foot,” Indiana Conservation Officer Jonathon Boyd told CNN affiliate WBND.
Authorities said Carter was released from a local hospital with minor foot injuries.
A local hunter named Deloren Thompson said do not blame the dog.
“That was more human error than anything,” Thompson said. “I’ve hunted with dogs and stuff before and never had problems.”
Treat every gun like it is loaded, Boyd said.
“Keep the safety on when you are not using it, and point it away from you,” he said.
Also, put your dog through hunting safety training too, Thompson said.