Friday , May 26 2017
Home / News / India / Curfew lifted in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri

Curfew lifted in Jammu and Kashmir’s Rajouri

Sunday, 26 July,Jammu : With situation returning to normal in Rajouri town of Jammu and Kashmir, curfew was on Sunday lifted after remaining in force for six days following clashes over alleged burning of terror outfit Islamic State’s flag by VHP activists, which minority groups claimed bore religious scripture.

Internet and mobile services were also restored. “There was no untoward incident reported when we relaxed the curfew for two days. So, we extended the relaxation Saturday night and it remained peaceful,” Deputy Commissioner (Rajouri) Deepti Uppal said.

Since normalcy has been restored in the town, Uppal said the authorities have decided to completely lift the curfew, but would continue to keep an eye on the situation. “Curfew has been completely lifted from the town, but at some places Section 144 (that prohibits the gathering of four or more people) would remain in place. The authorities would be monitoring the law and order situation in the town as well,” she said.

The Deputy Commissioner said mobile and internet services have also been restored in the area, which had been snapped in order to prevent spreading of rumours. “We had snapped the internet services so as to stop rumour-mongering in the town. Yesterday, we restored internet on BSNL and on Sunday we ordered the restoration on all other networks,” she said.

Curfew was clamped in the town on Tuesday after some VHP activists allegedly burnt an Islamic State flag, leading to protests by minority groups who claimed it bore religious scripture. Uppal said the religious heads of both the communities also played a constructive role in diffusing the tension.

“The religious heads of both the communities held a meeting and decided to resolve the issue amicably,” she said. The authorities in the town have also decided to release over 20 youths who had been arrested after they pelted stones at police personnel. Several cops were reported to have been injured in incidents of stone-pelting.