Broccoli (1 medium sized) – cut into individual florets
oil – for deep frying
All purpose flour – ¼ cup or 4-5 tblsp
Red chilli powder – a pinch (optional)
Salt – to taste
Cornstarch – 3-4 tblsp
Black Pepper powder – ¼ tsp
Water – ¼ cup + 2 tblsp
Canola Oil – 1 Tblsp
Onion – 1/2 medium, chopped finely
Green Chilies – to taste, cut diagonally
Garlic – 3 large cloves, chopped finely
White Vinegar – 2 tsp
Corn Starch – 2 tsp
Water – 4 Tblsp
Ketchup – 2 Tblsp
Red Chili Sauce – 2 Tblsp or to taste
Soy Sauce – 4 tsp or to taste
Green Onions – 2 stalks, cut diagonally for garnishing
1. Heat Oil in a frying pan and add Onions, Green chillies and garlic and cook until onions are soft and mildly browned.
2. Add Ketchup and red chilli sauce and sauté until it cooks down and the oil starts to separate.
3. Next add soy sauce and vinegar and mix well.
4. Mix the cornstarch with water and add it to the pan. Cook until the sauce starts to thicken and keep aside.
5. Make the batter by adding All purpose flour, cornstarch, pepper, red chilli powder, salt and water in a small bowl and mix it well so that there are no lumps.
6. Start heating the oil for deep frying. Meanwhile dip the broccoli florets in the batter until well coated and once oil is hot enough deep fry them until brown in color.
7. Once all the florets are fried, add it to the frying pan with the sauce and toss to coat well.
8. Garnish with Green onions and serve!
Recipe adapted from ShowMeThe Curry.com